Below is a list of my top ten (10) movies set during the 1930s. This is a list of what I consider to be favorite movies of mine, not what I consider to be the best:
"TOP TEN (10) FAVORITE MOVIES SET IN THE 1930s
1. "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" (1984) - Although not very popular with most INDIANA JONES fans, this movie about the rugged archeologist's conflict with a Thuggee cult in 1935 India is my personal favorite in the franchise. Produced by George Lucas and directed by Steven Spielberg, Harrison Ford starred.
2. "Chinatown" (1974) - Written by Robert Towne and directed by Roman Polanski, this film noir classic is based upon the historical disputes over land and water rights that had raged in southern California during the 1910s and 1920s . . . and updated to 1937. Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway co-starred.
3. "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (1981) - George Lucas and Steven Spielberg released this first of four movies that featured archeologist, Indiana Jones. Harrison Ford is the lead character, who is recruited by the U.S. government to acquire the legendary Ark of the Covenant before the Nazis in 1936 Egypt.
4. "The Sting" (1973) - Paul Newman and Robert Redford co-starred in this Academy Award Best Picture about a pair of grifters in 1936 Chicago, who pull off a con job on a ruthless mob boss portrayed by Robert Shaw. George Roy Hill directed.
5. "Gosford Park" (2001 - Robert Altman won a Golden Globe award for his direction of this all-star movie about the murder of a wealthy industrialist during a shooting party in 1932 England that showcased the tensions of the British class system. Julian Fellowes won an Oscar for his screenplay.
6. "The Untouchables" (1987) - Brian DePalma directed this excellent acount of Treasury Agent Elliot Ness' efforts to bring down mob boss Al Capone in Chicago, around 1930-31. Kevin Costner, Robert DeNiro, Andy Garcia, Charles Martin Smith, Billy Drago and Oscar winner Sean Connery co-starred.
7. "Public Enemies" (2009) - Johnny Depp stars in this account of the last year in the life of Depression-era bank robber, John Dillinger. Directed by Michael Mann, the movie co-stars Christian Bale as FBI Agent Melvin Purvis and Marion Cotillard as Billie Frichette, Dillinger's lady love.
8. "Death on the Nile" (1978) - Peter Ustinov portrayed Belgian detective Hercule Poirot for the first time in this adaptation of Agatha Christie's 1937 novel about the murder of an Anglo-American heiress. My favorite Christie movie.
9. "Seabiscuit" (2003) - Gary Ross directed this excellent adaptation of Laura Hillenbrand's book about the famous 1930s racehorse, Seabiscuit. Tobey Macguire, Jeff Bridges, Chris Cooper, Elizabeth Banks and William H. Macy starred.
10. "Road to Perdition" (2002) - Sam Mendes directed this atmospheric adaptation of Max Allan Collins' graphic novel about a Depression-era hitman forced to flee with his son from the crime syndicate for whom he had worked, after the latter witnesses a murder. Tom Hanks, Paul Newman, Jude Law, Tyler Hoechlin, Daniel Craig and Jennifer Jason Leigh starred.